If the house you live in is too small for you and you want to expand it without moving a partition (or almost), we have prepared another list of tricks to achieve it with decoration, without major work and for little money. Now it’s time for the finishes of walls, floors and ceilings. How to expand our house playing with these elements.
Roofs in small houses
– The false ceilings (with a “step” before the wall) expand the feeling of space. If the room is very small, such as a bathroom, we can achieve the same effect if we leave the false ceiling at 2cm. from the wall, thus creating a small pit.
– Indirect lighting, which is projected towards the ceiling to spread the light, gives a feeling of greater spaciousness.
– In a study, changes in the height of the ceiling, even if they are small, help to differentiate spaces without the need for partitions.
Floors for small houses
– Carpets absorb noise and that in the case of a small home can increase the feeling of narrowness. It is better to avoid them.
– Cement floors, lacking joints, help to make houses more spacious.
– High skirting boards visually dwarf rooms. We can do without the skirting or place them low. There are models of just 4cm.
– If we want a wood finish or its appearance, natural beech, maple or synthetics with white tones are a good solution.
Walls in a small house
– Translucent walls (which allow the passage of light but do not allow shapes to be seen clearly) whether they are pavés, U-glass type or mineral fibers, are essential to take advantage of natural lighting in small houses.
– A matte glass partition can be the only separation between the kitchen and the living area of a studio.
– The smooth finishes on the walls favor the feeling of spaciousness. We must avoid go tele, striped pastes or other similar finishes.
– Veined marble or tiles that imitate it should not be used in bathrooms or small rooms. Getting them not to dwarf the space is difficult.
All of the above are clues that we can model as we please. Each house is a world and we should take the decoration of it with enough freedom, taking advantage of what suits us from each trick we have. Remember that in decoration it is essential to have a good time, to enjoy the final result.